Buying a new laptop can be a tough choice for everyone considering the fact that there are a lot of options available in market.
In this case I’ve listed down some of the best laptop along with their prominent feature and also I’ve mentioned pros and cons of each laptop.
If you are planning to buy a new laptop then first thing which you need to plan is the purpose for which you are buying laptop. Main purpose of buying laptop will give you better clarity.
After you are done deciding purpose for buying laptop then given below are list of specification which you need to check compulsorily.
Things to Check Before Buying a Laptop
These days minimum storage which is required is 250GB. If you are fine with less storage but you want high performance then you can opt for SSD. As SSD drives of 250GB is affordable and have high performance. But if you need large storage then you can go for HDD and at present almost every laptop comes with 1TB HDD storage which is more than enough. Without any doubt having SSD storage in your laptop increase performance of your laptop as compared to laptops with HDD storage. There are options for laptops which include both HDD and SDD.
It is optional though if you are getting it without compromising your budget then there is no loss in spending over graphic card.
It is also optional but as a writer if you are planning on taking a lot of notes then you may want to get a touchscreen or writing pad.
Although 8GB or more than 8 GB is preferred but at least 4GB will also work completely fine for you.
No of windows users are more than any other operating system. But as per your wish and budget you can decide which OS you will prefer. As you will be buying laptop for writing purpose then you will surely need word processor.
Due to advancement in processor, it is recommended to at least get an Intel i5 processor and you can also go for higher generations if it doesn’t cross your budget.
You will need to carry your laptop in different places. It is recommended to choose a lightweight laptop which will be easy to carry.
As you will be using laptop a lot for writing purpose that’s why I will recommend you to buy a laptop with backlit keyboard. This way it will be easy for you to write in low light also.
List of Laptops You Can Consider Buying
MICROSOFT SURFACE GO
We all already know how good Microsoft surface is and it gives you smooth performance. It is portable and as a writer it best for all your tasks. It is available in two variants 4GB RAM and 64 GB HDD and other variant is 8GB RAM and 128 GB HDD. Both of them are great and you can select one according to your budget and requirement.
It is famous among users for its tablet portable design and definitely touchscreen facility. You can use stylus with it which makes it suitable for keeping all notes as a writer. It has 10 inch screen with super lightweight and most importantly because of its design it can fit in your bag easily. It is adaptable to every scenario.
It is installed with Microsoft Windows 10 OS which makes it secure. It is protected with Microsoft verified security. It has parental control along with Windows defender. It provides you with world class support.
Storage: 128GB HDD
Graphics: Intel integrated HD 615 graphics
RAM: 8GB DDR3
OS: Windows 10 Home in S Mode
Processor: 1GHz Pentium gold 4415Y processor.
- As it is a 10-inch hybrid laptop/tablet windows computer it makes the device comfortable to carry around. It weighs just 1.15 pounds.
- In terms of battery it is excellent. Users have reported that it can for at least 6 hours. It can be charged quickly with USB-C chargers and Surface connector charger.
- Keyboard works pretty well because it has traditional scissor switches and key are domed which make its feel smooth.
- It doesn’t have USB-type A.
- Base version is cheaper which consist of 64GB storage and 4-GB RAM. Higher version is expensive.
- It has unfavourable reparability. That’s why opt for extended warranty.
LENOVO FLEX 14
Lenovo flex 14 is a 2 in 1 laptop which is as flexible as its name suggests. It is thin and compact with 14 inch display. It is provided with a three-sided narrow bezel display. It is flexible because it is provided with 360 degree hinge that allows you to transition between laptop and tablet. With the help of Active pen features it provides you with natural feel of a pen-paper writing experience along with smart editing and more.
It has 256 GB SSD which will make your laptop superfast and avoid all the lagging issues which you face in other laptops. Getting SSD with a lot of features provided by Lenovo Flex is more than enough to look for.
I forgot to mention with the help of its bezel display, it gives you great cinema experience.
Storage: 256GB SSD
Graphics: AMD Radeon Vega 8
RAM: 12GB DDR4
Weight: 1.6 Kg
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor.
- It comes with great design and good battery life. It starts with affordable starting price.
- It comes with good CPU performance, reasonably fast NVMEe SSD.
- It comes with flexibility of yoga laptop, Fingerprint sensor and webcam shutter.
- It is not portable and it is bit heavy for commuters.
- It has slow boot up times and display can be a little too dim.
Lenovo Ideapad is one of my favourite laptop and it is also favourite laptop for writers looking for a great laptop. It is perfect laptop if you are looking for a budget friendly laptop. It comes with DVD-writer which is rare these days. If talking about specifications then those are given below. It is provided with 2 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB type-C ports, which clearly depicts that it will work with all of your accessories.
Storage: 1TB HDD
Graphics: 2GB Nvidia MX 150
RAM: 8GB DDR4
Weight: 2.2 Kg
OS: Windows 10 Home
Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5-8250U 8th Gen.
- It definitely values for money as compared to other laptops. It gives better specification at lower price.
- It has good service present everywhere.
- On buying Lenovo laptop there are high chances that you will get extended warranty up to 3 years for 1500 or 2000.
- According to Lenovo users, problems start arising after 2 years of usage of laptop.
Every laptop is equipped with something which makes them special and different from others. MacBook air is so light, which makes it the most portable laptop you can find with power packed performance. Without any doubt, it is best choice for writers-on-go. It gives you battery life of more than 12 hours. If you are a fan of Apple eco-system then it is the right choice for you.
Storage: 256GB SSD
Graphics: Intel HD graphics 6000.
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Weight: 1.25 Kg
OS: Mac OS
Processor: Dual Core 5th Gen intel i5 processor.
- It will give you one of the best battery life of up to 9hrs of browsing.
- It has high performance with fluent OS.
- Memory space is less. You might have to consider buying external memory for storage.
- It is made up of metal body which get heated up in summer and cold in winter.
- You can’t enjoy gaming in this laptop.
Without any doubt this is the lowest price laptop which I’ve mentioned in this list. Even though it is cheapest still it offers all the require features for a writer. It is provided with necessary specs for great performance by your laptop.
One thing peculiar about it is less storage of 32 GB because all files are stored over cloud. This way you will never lose your file. As it is a Chromebook, it runs over Google proprietary google OS. Don’t go on its price, it has everything you need.
Storage: 32 GB HDD
Graphics: Intel integrated HD 615 graphics
Weight: 1.1 Kg
OS: Chrome OS
Processor: Celeron N3060 processor.
- Acer Chromebook is available at an affordable rate.
- It is thinner and lighter than general laptops.
- Updates are the best thing about it. The Chrome continuously check for updates that it can download and install.
- Chromebook rely on cloud based storage via Google drive. It has local storage of 32GB only.
- Optical drives are not important now but still Chromebook doesn’t have it now.
All the above laptops which I mentioned are really good for writing purpose. They will definitely increase productivity and comfort when you will be writing. At present I am using Lenovo Ideapad which consists of all the useful features and specifications and it works pretty smooth. It is budget friendly when you will compare it with other laptops. One thing which I found missing is backlit keyboard. If you are buying extra keyboard with it, then your this problem will be solved in no time.
A lot of people are mistaken that there is nothing more than a word processor and a functional keyboard is required by the writers. To be specific as a writer it is required to have a functional keyboard which has a nice tactile bounce and is very accurate. You can conclude from this that you will need one of the best keyboard which will let you type all day without fatiguing.
Another thing which you cannot neglect is good display. It is required by a writer to have a laptop with display which lets you see even when you are outside and it is not eye straining when you are working inside. Most importantly when your laptop will have all good specification required then it will definitely inspire you to write more. In that case you will need a laptop with a good battery life.